Pipe Repair Solution – Wrap Seal Quick Repair Kit For Pipe Leaks
Wrap Seal Quick Repair Kit for Pipe Leaks is a pipe repair kit suitable for offline pipe leak repair for low pressure general pipe medium. This pipe repair kit is suitable for pipe diameter up to 450mm (18”).
Wrap Seal Quick Repair Kit for Pipe Leaks is suitable for pipeline operating pressure up to 28kg/cm² (400psi) and operating temperature up to 200°C (392°F). Wrap Seal Quick Repair Kit consist of 1 roll of Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape, 1 unit of SS106 Seal Stick Underwater Epoxy Stick, 1 pair of chemical gloves and operating instructions.
WRAP SEAL – OFFLINE PIPE LEAK REPAIR
This leak repair technique is applicable for the following scenario:
- 1. It is non-active pin-hole leak repair
- 2. The pipe repair is performed on surface of temperature less than 70°C
- 3. The pipe diameter less than 18”
- 4. The pipe medium is non-hazardous.
Materials required for the pipe repair:
- Wrap Seal Quick Repair Kit for Pipe Leaks
- Application Tools
- (a). Surface preparation tools: Mechanical power tools or hand tools (e.g. course files, sand papers, saw blades, wire brush, etc.)
- (b). Latex gloves for material handling
- (c). Personnel protection: safety glasses, hand equipment gloves, face mask/ self-breathing apparatus, etc.
- (d). Cleaning fluid: Solvent-based degreaser for cleaning surfaces
- (e). Pail of water (0.5 litres) for activating Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape
Offline Pipe Leak Repair procedure:
- Stop all leakages by turning off pipe flow.
- Ensure that the surface is clean and dry. Remove all dirt, old paint coatings, rust, and other contaminates by abrasive blasting or other suitable mechanical techniques. Clean and degrease the surface thoroughly using solvent-based contact cleaner & degreaser. Areas that are immersed in oil must be cleaned repeatedly to draw the oil out of the surface. Use a hot air gun or compressed air gun to force oil out of the pores. Allow the surface to cool, then degrease again. After cleaning, roughen the surface to produce a good anchor profile of 60 to 80 microns.
- Remove the Seal Stick from sealed plastic bag and peel off its protective wrap.Put on the latex gloves provided in the repair kit. Knead the Seal Stick for approximately 1 minute until a uniform dark grey colour is achieved. When applying onto a pipe surface without active leak, a soft texture Seal Stick is sufficient. The amount of Seal Stick used should cover at least 3 times the area of the leak and thickness of 20mm.
- Press the Seal Stick to fill in holes or crack of the damaged or leak area and feather the edge of Seal Stick for better adhesion onto pipe surface. The amount of Seal Stick used should cover at least 3 times the size of leak hole and thickness at leak location should be at least 25mm (if the quantity of Seal Stick in the Repair Kit is not sufficient, additional quantities of Seal Stick can be purchased separately). Allow Seal Stick to cure for about 30 minutes.
- Important: Do not open foil pouch containing Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape until leak is completely stopped and pipe is completely prepared.
- Fill a container with water (about 0.5 liters). Tear to open the foil pouch at notches, remove the Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape and immerse it in water for 10 seconds; squeeze the roll while immersing it in water.
- Remove the fiberglass tape from the water and start wrapping the Wrap Seal Fibreglass Tape around the pipe. The wrapping of fiberglass tape should start at least 100mm before the leak area and the length of coverage should be at least2 times the pipe diameter. Wrap the pipe as tightly and evenly as possible,pulling slightly after each round of wrapping. Apply the entire roll over the pipe surface with at least 50% overlap for the entire pipe repair length. The wrapping direction should be done in one direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) and working time is approximately 30 seconds for each roll of fiberglass tape at pipe surface temperature of 30°C (higher pipe surface temperature will reduce working time). If additional working time is required for high temperature pipe repair, immerse the Wrap Seal fiberglass roll into ice cold water.
- After additional rolls of Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape is required, immediately open another roll of Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape, immerse into water and continue the wrapping process by overlapping the end of the previous fiberglass tape with at least 100mm of the continuing fiberglass tape.
- While wrapping the fiberglass tape onto the pipe, consistently pour water onto the fiberglass tape. Wet latex gloves in water and compress the bubbling resins back into the fiberglass wrap by rapidly and firmly stroking the surface with a back and forth motion. After wrapping of the fiberglass tape is completed, continue to pour water onto the repaired pipe section, rapidly and firmly stroke the surface with a back and forth motion until the product is cured.
- Allow the cured area to be cured for minimum 1 hour.
- Pipe repair job is completed and the repaired system can be operated back to normal operating conditions.
Note: If a leak is not successfully repaired, wrapping additional layers of Wrap Seal Fiberglass Tape on the existing repaired section will not stop the leak. It is necessary to remove all previously installed products and redo the pipe repair works from the start.